Silver Rainbow Ageing & Aged Care Links
On this page
The Framework is a high-level document that provides guidance to service providers, consumers, government and peak bodies on how to adequately address the specific needs of all people with diverse characteristics and life experiences.
This includes people from communities and experiences such as:
- Torres Strait Islander
- Culturally or linguistically diverse
- LGBTI people
- Rural, remote or very remote locations
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness
- Socially or economically disadvantaged people
- Mental illness
- Parents separated from their children by forced adoption or removal.
The Framework provides an overarching structure and includes a number of Action Plans.
The Aged Care Sector Sub-Group are currently developing three action plans for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse and intersex (LGBTI) peoples. The Silver Rainbow Project at the National LGBTI Health Alliance is creating the LGBTI Action Plan through consultations around the country.
The Aged Care Diversity Framework is the result of countless hours of consultation and discussion facilitated by Aged Care Sector Committee Diversity Sub-Group with representatives from:
- Department of Health
- National LGBTI Health Alliance
- National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation
- Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia
- Seniors Rights Service
- Salvation Army Southern Territory
- National Aged Care Alliance
- The Australian Association of Gerontology
- Chaired by Samantha Edmonds, Silver Rainbow National Project Manager.
The design of the Framework ensures that Aged Care embraces diversity and is truly inclusive of all people. The Framework follows on from the National LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care Strategy which completed in June 2017. The initial Strategy was developed with key recommendations from the National Roundtable on LGBTI Ageing and Aged Care, formed of LGBTI organisations and community leaders. In the review of the Strategy, respondents strongly stated that the goals should continue in future aged care reforms, such as the Aged Care Diversity Framework which launched on Dec 6, 2017 by the Hon Minister Ken Wyatt in Canberra.
- Direct link to the Diversity Framework (available as PDF and MS Word)
- Link to People from Diverse backgrounds page
- Link to Diversity Framework and resources
- Link to the LGBTI Aged Care Strategy
- Link to the review of the Strategy
- Media Release from the National LGBTI Health Alliance
- Media Release regarding the Diversity Framework (with link to Framework)
- Media Release regarding the Launch, including the Minister’s speech