MindOUT Project Links
MindOUT develops and delivers national suicide prevention initiatives aimed at building the capacity of the mental health and suicide prevention sectors to meet the support and wellbeing needs of LGBTI populations, thereby improving the mental health outcomes and reducing suicide and suicidal behavior amongst LGBTI people and communities.
LGBTI people have a heightened risk of mental health diagnosis, psychological distress, self-harm, suicide ideation, and suicide attempts. For an overview of statistics on mental health outcomes and suicidal behaviours of LGBTI populations, please refer to Snapshot of Mental Health and Suicide Prevention for LGBTI People
MindOUT has the following goals and objectives:
- Working with Government to support the inclusion of LGBTI populations in mental health and suicide prevention strategies, policies and progammes.
- Working with mental health and suicide prevention organisaitons and services to support them to be increasingly responsive to the needs of LGBTI people and communities.
- Supporting LGBTI people and communities to be able to identify and respond to their own mental health needs, along with supporting others in the LGBTI community.
MindOUT achieves this through implementing the following activities:
- Developing a suite of professional resources for the mental health sector to implement.
- Providing training and education for mental health professionals on LGBTI mental health.
- Delivering mental health and suicide prevention awareness education for LGBTI people.
- Establishing supportive partnerships with mental health and suicide prevention organisations.
- Facilitating online professional development opportunities for the mental health and suicide prevention sector.
- Working collaboratively with target populations within the LGBTI community, including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Young People
- People with Intersex bodies
- People with disabilities
Receive updates from the MindOUT project by subscribing to Network MindOUT
MindOUT! National LGBTI Mental Health and Suicide Prevention Project was established in 2011, and is funded by the Australian Government Department of Health National Suicide Prevention Leadership and Support Program.
Sally Morris – National MindOUT! Project Coordinator
Charlie Willbridge – MindOUT Project Officer