This is a central place for LGBTI organisations (the full members of the National LGBTI Health Alliance) that are working to support LGBTI people throughout the changing COVID-19 environment.
Please use our survey to tell us how we can best support you.
‘There are three factors that make LGBT+ people more vulnerable to coronavirus: the prevalence of smoking in the LGBT+ community, higher rates of HIV and cancer, and barriers to healthcare that mean LGBT+ people are reluctant to seek medical treatment’, states this open letter from over 100 renowned American LGBTI and Health Organisations (March 11, New York City).
It is well evidenced in Australia that LGBTI people experience higher rates of chronic health conditions such as cancer, which means that many are at risk of serious illness if they acquire COVID-19. You can read our joint statement with AFAO here.
Connecting these populations to care is made more difficult by the pervading structural access barriers to high quality and culturally safe healthcare LGBTI people still experience including actual and perceived discrimination and stigma when accessing services including primary health care.
We hope these resources might help your community to #ConnectWithCare
Commonwealth Department of Health Resources:
- The Minister for Health: Latest Statements
- Department of Health: COVID-19 resources for health professionals
- Department of Health: COVID-19 funding measures
- Department of Health: 30-minute online training module
- The Public Health Unit: COVID-19 National Guidelines for Public Health Units
- Department of Health: Support for the aged care workforce
- Department of Health: Temporary COVID-19 telehealth MBS items
- ASHM: Directory of State and Commonwealth Resources
- RACGP: Directory of Clinical Resources on COVID-19
- AMA: AMA COVID-19 Statements
LGBTI and Community Health:
- AFAO: COVID-19 and HIV
- ASHM: BBV and STI Sector Webinar
- Scarlet Alliance: Resource Page for Sex Workers and Organisations
- AIVL Twitter Feed: Links to Isolated Drug Use and COVID-19
- Hepatitis Australia: Fact Sheet on Corona and Hepatitis B and C
- Thorne Harbour Health: Intimacy, COVID-19 and Communities
- ACON: Sexual Health and COVID-19
- NACCHO Webpage: Aboriginal Health and Corona Virus
- Royal Commission into Exploitation of People with Disability:
- Support for People With Disability Urgently Needed
- NDIS: Coronavirus Hub
- For Peer Organisations see:
- People With Disability Australia and Women With Disability Australia.
In-Language and Translated Resources:
- Department of Health: Translated Resources
- NPS Medicine Wise: Community Languages
- SBS: Corona Coverage in 763 Languages
- WHO: Videos on Corona Basics and Regular Updates
- ETHNOlink: COVID-19 Resources in 49 Languages
- IPSA: Online Peer Hangouts for People with Intersex Variations
- IHRA: Facebook Page (Peers + Allies, Family and Friends)
Trans and Gender Diverse:
- ACON: What Trans People Need to Know
- AUSPATH: Response to the Cancellation of ‘Elective’ Surgeries
- The Gender Center: Practical Resources
- RACGP Article on Interactions with:
- Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs)
Mental Health and Wellbeing:
- MindOut: Community of Practice – Webinar Series for Health Professionals
- Department of Health: Head to Health Website Resources for Public
- Beyond Blue Forums: Looking After Yourself During Corona
- APS: Information Sheets for All Australians
- Headspace: Information For Young People
- MindSpot: 10 Tips for Coping with COVID
- ABC: Mental Health Tips When Working From Home
- The Conversation: Tips For a Crowded House
- ReachOut Forums: Forums Here on a Range of Topics
- Wendybird: Ways to Stay Connected Online
- Lung Foundation Australia: Mental Health and COVID-19 Video
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: Stigma and Young People Video
- Lung Foundation Australia: Mental Health and COVID-19 Video
- WHO: COVID-19 Stigma and Talking to Young People Video
Older LGBTI People:
- Older Persons Advocacy Network: See Resources
- Mindspot: Wellbeing Course for People 60+
- Be Connected is an Australia wide initiative empowering all
- Australians with online learning resources: develop your digital skills and confidence.
Aged Care Sector:
- Silver Rainbow: For Aged Care Workers
- Department of Health: Aged Care and Corona Virus Advice
- Dementia Australia: Tips for Carers, Families and Friends of People Living with Dementia
- Communicable Diseases Network of Australia: Prevention Guidelines in Aged Care
- Royal Commission Into Aged Care Submission Extension: See Alliance Update
Rainbow Ageing is a national research project that aims to provide new data on the health and well-being of older lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Australians, led by the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society (ARCSHS) at La Trobe University. The project is funded by the Australian Research Council and involves four partner organisations, including the National LGBTI Health Alliance, COTA Australia, SANE Australia, and Carers Australia. There will be 14 articles published in all. Here are the first 5.
- Mindframe: Reporting Guidelines
- Croaky Article: Ethics and Communications
- Croaky Thread: Corona Virus Thread
- The Conversation: Reporting on Corona Must be Ethical
Organisational and Corporate Support:
- Fairwork Australia: Corona Virus and Workplace Changes
- Safe Work Australia: Information for Employers
- ABC News: Tech Tips When Working From Home
- eSafety Commission: Staying Safe Online
- Heads Up: Workplace Mental Health Resources
- WHO: Workplaces and COVID-19 Guide
Workplace resourcing (WWDA):
- Zoom (requires the internet):
- Zoom has a Youtube channel with helpful videos.
- Download WWDA’s Plain English document on how to use Zoom.
- Skype (requires the internet):
- Skype how-to-videos
- Skype Essentials for Mac video
- Skype for Windows Desktop video
- Skype has a Youtube channel with helpful videos.
- Facetime (requires the internet):
- How to Use Facetime video.
- Apple Support has a Youtube channel
Diversity Council of Australia: excellent research and tools!
- Getting flexible – Quick wins
- Future-Flex: Taking a strategic approach to flexibility
- Flexibility tools
- DCA’s research:
- Building Inclusive Leadership
- Business case for inclusion
- Leading practice principles for inclusion
And While You’re Here:
- Encourage All People to Update Their Medicine List
- Videos From IHRA: Let’s Talk About Intersex
- Broad Agenda: Gender and Corona
- Womens Agenda: Childcare without Grandparents
The pressure on our health system is immense and we must all contribute to reducing infections.
Our important work continues across ageing and aged care, disability, mental health and suicide prevention and LGBTI health more broadly. Please see the regularly updated National LGBTI Health Alliance Program and Policy here.
Please see our referral pages for COVID-19:
- Connect with Care: for the LGBTI Sector and Organisations
- Connect with Confidence: for the LGBTI Communities and Individuals
- Connect with Community: for the Health Sector and Services