The Fifth National Mental Health Plan will seek to establish a national approach for collaborative government effort over the next five years, from 2017 to 2022.
A consultation draft of the Fifth Plan was released on 21 October 2016. The consultation draft focuses on achievable and measurable improvements across seven targeted priority areas:
- Integrated regional planning and service delivery;
- Coordinated treatment and supports for people with severe and complex mental illness;
- Suicide prevention;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander mental health and suicide prevention;
- Physical health of people living with mental health issues;
- Stigma and discrimination reduction; and
- Safety and quality in mental health care.